Come and get it! Franco’s Watermelon And Feta Salad
My latest Huffington Post article is about a wonderful encounter that began with watermelon. I had been working on a luxury cruise line and we docked, one beautiful August morning in Piraeus, the port city of Athens, Greece.
I was ashore by 11:30 a.m. It was a very warm morning and I was heading to a local farmer’s market.
Cool, refreshing Greek watermelon was on my mind as I meandered through the busy streets to my destination.
The market was full of some absolutely beautiful fruits and vegetables. I found a watermelon vendor and purchased my prized slice of refreshing watermelon and sat down to enjoy it.
What happened next was incredible and a true eye-opening life experience. Click here to read the full story on Huffington Post – Watermelon and Smiles in Greece
Venture below for my refreshing version of a Greek-style Watermelon and Feta Salad.
Watermelon and Feta Salad
- 1 Tablespoon – Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons – Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 3 Tablespoons – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 700 g ( 25 oz ) – Watermelon
- 200 g ( 7oz ) – Feta Cheese
- 4 leaves ( medium ) – Fresh Mint or Basil
- Pour vinegar, the orange juice, salt and pepper into a small jar or bottle. Then add the oil. Close and shake well.
- Trim and deseed the melon. Keep only the very red part of the watermelon and cut into medium-sized pieces.
- Cut the feta into medium-diced pieces.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with the dressing. Adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour prior to serving.
- At service time, chiffonade the basil or mint leaves and toss through the salad.
- Serve immediately
This watermelon salad is perfect for a light lunch on a hot summer day.