Just in time for the holidays! Minnesota Wild Rice Stuffing with an Italian Twist. This stuffing is absolutely delicious and can easily be modified to your own taste. There are two secrets to this recipe. One is to replace 1/4 cup of the milk with Madeira, which adds a very subtle yet elegant flavor. The second secret is to use one box of my Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cake mix. The wild rice, with its iron, protein, fiber and antioxidants adds a fantastic taste to this stuffing, with its nutty flavor.
The versatility of one box of Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes is truly incredible. A holiday stuffing is just another fantastic way to enjoy this exciting new product. So, give it a try! Once you do, you’ll see why people are going wild over Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes.
Click here for the quick video on how to make this recipe. Franco’s Minnesota Wild Rice Stuffing | Italian Twist
All you need: (serves 6-8 people)
- 1 box Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes, prepared as instructed on box
- ¼ cup Madeira, optional
- 3 links of Italian sweet sausage (without fennel)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- ¼ cup onion (medium diced)
- ¼ cup celery (medium diced)
- ¼ cup carrots (medium diced)
- 1 green apple (medium diced)
- 6 sage leaves, chiffonade cut
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, rough chop
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 20 – 25 chestnuts, roasted peeled and quartered, or use pre-shelled chestnuts.
All you do:
- Preheat your oven to 425⁰.
- Make one box of Franco’s Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes as per instructions on back of the box. If using the Madeira, use ¼ cup less milk and substitute it with the wine.
- Remove the sausage from its casing and crumble. Brown off quickly in a hot skillet with olive oil and butter. Reserve some to place on top before baking.
- Mix onion, celery, carrots, apple, sage, parsley, cranberries and chestnuts, along with the crumbled sausage to the batter and pour into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved sausage on top and drizzle the top lightly with some olive oil or dot with some small pats of butter.
- Place on the center rack of your oven and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- To test, the center of the stuffing should be just set and the edges should be browned and bubbling slightly
Tip: Do not over bake this stuffing; it should be just set and still moist.
Happy Holidays & Happy Cooking!