These wild rice, bacon, cheddar and corn muffins make an outstanding side dish!
They are the number one recipe that people ask for after they’ve tasted them at my live Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cake cooking demonstrations. Bacon fans will absolutely love this recipe. And if bacon is not your thing, don’t despair, simply omit it. The muffins will still be very tasty. Fair warning- if you serve these, you may never get to join the party because you’ll be too busy in the kitchen cooking up batch after batch of these fabulous savory muffins.
Wild Rice Griddle Cake – Bacon, Cheddar and Corn Muffins
(makes 12 muffins)
All you need:
- 1 box Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes
- 1 ½ cup shredded Cabot cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 strips of bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp reserved bacon fat (optional)
- 2 scallions, cut on a bias
- ¾ cup sweet corn
All you do:
- Preheat oven to 400⁰. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
- Make one box of Franco’s Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes as per instructions on back of the box.
- Stir in the 1 cup cheese, bacon, scallions, corn and bacon fat to evenly distribute.
- Pour the batter into the greased muffin molds ¾ full.
- Use the reaming ½ cup of cheese to sprinkle on the tops of the muffins just before baking.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until the muffins have risen, slightly browned and the centers are fully set.
Tip: Remember: Any leftover batter can be stored in a sealed plastic container in your refrigerator for three days.