This chestnut and Italian sweet sausage stuffing is an absolutely delicious holiday stuffing! It is a nice change from the traditional bread stuffing’s and it’s just as simple to make.
Chestnut & Italian Sweet Sausage Stuffing:
- 500g (1lbs.) – Chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons – Flat-leaf Italian parsley ( rough chopped)
- 4 – Shallots, medium seize and chopped finely
- 250g (8oz.) – Green apple ( peeled, cored, and cut in medium dice)
- 1-Egg- beaten
- 250g ( 8oz.) – Pork belly, finely chopped ( optional)
- 250g ( 8oz.) – Italian sweet sausage ( removed from casing and crumbled)
- 50g ( 2-oz) – Butter (unsalted) melted slightly
- 2 tablespoons – Madeira
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Score the back of the chestnuts with the point of a sharp knife to create an X.
- Bring to a boil in a pot of water to cover the chestnuts by 2 inches of water. Then let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain, cool, peel, and rough chop
- Place in a mixing bowl with the parsley, shallots, egg, pork belly (if using), sausage, apples, butter, Maderia, and season with salt and pepper.
Hint: At this stage, cook a small batch of the stuffing to taste tor seasoning. If the stuffing tastes too bland, this is the time to readjust the flavors.
- Once the stuffing is properly seasoned, proceed to stuff your holiday bird.
Note: This stuffing can be used as a side dish as well for your holiday meal by simply sauteing it, and serving as is, or putting it in a baking dish and finishing in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. It is excellent as an accompaniment to your roasts and other holiday dishes.