Macedonian Fruit Salad is a refreshing way to utilize and showcase all the terrific summertime fruits at your local markets.
The Macedonian Empire in the Balkans once ruled over a population made up of a highly diverse mix of ethnicities. My recipe for this colorful and exquisite Macedonian Fruit Salad is aptly named for its divergent and exotic mix of fruits that beautifully and harmoniously meld together.
It is a festival of several different types of fruits comprised of unique textures, shapes, and colors. Like our special individual qualities, the contrasting fruits are what makes this salad so delicious and interesting.
The suggested fruits can be substituted with any fruit of your liking. So, if you prefer one type over another–go for it. But, be sure to keep the quantity the same. (2 cups = 2 cups, regardless of the fruit.)
Macedonian Fruit Salad Recipe:
( serves: 8-10 )
- Pineapple – 2 cups (1-inch chunks)
- Mango – 2 cups (1-inch chunks)
- Papaya – 2 cups (cut into long strips)
- Kiwi – 2 cups (quartered and cut into 1/2 inch chunks)
- Cherries – 25 (pitted and cut in half)
- Peaches – 2 cups (cut in 1-inch chunks)
- Oranges – 1 cup (segmented, seeds removed)
- Tangerines – 1 cup (segmented, seeds removed)
- Lime juice – 4 tablespoons ( fresh)
- Sugar – 4 tablespoons
- Water – 10 tablespoons
- Lime Zest – 1 tablespoon ( freshly grated)
- Tequila, Rum or Cognac – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Salt – one pinch
- Heavy Cream – 2 cups
- Sugar – to taste
- Vanilla – 1/2 pod scraped or one tablespoon extract
- Coconut – 1/2 cup, toasted (for garnish)
- Make the marinade. In a small saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water, bring to a boil and thicken slightly to create a syrup. Remove from heat and add lime juice, zest, and alcohol is used. Set aside and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, combine all the fruits and salt. Then, add the flavored syrup and toss lightly.
- Place the bowl covered, in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow the fruits to chill and the flavors to meld together nicely.
- Whip the cream with sugar and vanilla until soft peaks are formed (optional)
- Place fruit salad in serving bowls, using a slotted spoon.
- Place a dollop of the whipped cream on top (optional)
- Sprinkle with the toasted coconut and serve (optional )
This is an absolutely delicious salad. It is best if left for a day in the refrigerator before serving.
Now, go pick up some fruit and enjoy some of the best gifts that summer can offer!
To learn more about the Macedonian Empire here is a start: Macedonia