- 1 1⁄4 chicken cutlets, pounded until 1⁄4” thick (about 8)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1 tbsp, flour
- 5 tbsp, olive oil
- 5 tbsp, unsalted butter
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp, minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge it in 1⁄3 cup flour. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add the chicken, and cook, turning once, until golden brown. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, and set aside. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. butter, and then add mushrooms; cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate with chicken, and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a skillet, and then add shallots and garlic; cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining 1 tbsp. flour; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Marsala wine and stock; cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan until slightly thick and can coat the back of the spoon.
- This should take about 2 minutes. Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet, and cook until heated through about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with parsley, if you like.