These sweet turmeric and flax buns are a healthy twist on old fashion yeast buns. We all know that turmeric has a wide variety of health benefits. It has turned out to be the wonder spice of all spices for many good reasons. You can check here to learn more about the health benefits of turmeric. Flaxseed on the other hand is also a very healthy addition to a diet. It is high in fiber, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids. So why not combine the two in a traditional yeast bun and make it a little bit healthier for you and your whole family?
This is not a hard recipe at all. Yeast buns in general are pretty simple to make. All you need is to be watchful and precise when proofing the yeast and allowing the allotted time for the dough to rise. If you take your time and follow the instructions exactly you’ll have 20 delicious yeast dinner buns with a nice healthy twist.
Sweet Turmeric and Flaxseed Yeast Buns
(yields 20 buns)
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, you’ll need some extra for dusting your work surface
- 1 heaping tablespoon of turmeric
- 3 tablespoons of flaxseeds
- 2 eggs
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1/2 cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted) plus a little more to grease your baking pan and butter the tops of the buns.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- kitchen scale
Proof the yeast
- First, proof the yeast. Add the yeast to a small bowl or cup. Add a few pinches of sugar and a tablespoon of flour.
- Stir in half the water to dissolve the yeast, sugar, and flour. Then add the rest of the water.
Tip: Cover with a kitchen towel and set in a draft-free place for about 20-30 minuter. I usually set it in my microwave or oven.
- Grease your baking tray and set it in the refrigerator.
- Once the yeast has been proofed, you are ready for the next steps.
Making the Dough
- Add eggs, salt, sugar, flour, butter, turmeric, and flaxseeds to a bowl.
- Add in the yeast and milk and mix well to create the beginnings of a dough ball.
- Once all comes together flour your work surface and scrape out the dough onto the floured surface.
- Flour your hands and also dust the top of the dough mass with some additional flour.
- Knead the dough to create a non-sticky but pliable dough.
Tip: When creating the dough you’ll need to add flour accordingly so that it’s not too sticky. The final workable dough should take about 10 minutes when kneading and adjusting the flour additions by hand.
- When you have obtained a dough ball add it to a lightly greased bowl. Turn the dough ball around in the bowl so the entire ball is lightly greased.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and place it in a draft-free spot (inside your microwave or oven) for one hour.
- After one hour punch down the dough and place it on your floured work surface.
- Now you can begin to weigh out 2 ounces (50 g) of dough balls.
- You should get approximately 20 dough balls. Place them in even rows about 1/2 inch apart.
- As they expand they will begin to touch and that’s a good thing.
- Now preheat your oven to 375°F and set the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Carefully set your tray on the rack and bake for 20 minutes.
Tip: A good indication of doneness is when the buns have a nice golden color on top and sound hollow when tapped.
- Once you remove the buns from the oven immediately brush the tops with the remaining softened butter.
- Let the butter seep in for about 10 minutes and then immediately serve them.
These sweet turmeric and flaxseed buns are absolutely delicious and they will disappear fast!