Sicilian Eggplant – Melanzane alla Siciliana
(serves : 4-6)
- eggplant – 1 medium sized ( 0ne and one half pounds)
- kosher salt – 2 teaspoons
- olives – 8 pitted Sicilian olives
- anchovy – 2-3 canned fillets (rinsed off)
- tomato – one medium tomato
- capers – one tablespoon capers
- black pepper – 1/4 , teaspoon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1, Tablespoon
- Wash but do not peel the eggplant, cut off approximately 1/2 inch from each end.
- Cut lengthwise into eight even pieces.
- Place eggplant into a large bowl sprinkle with the kosher salt and toss to evenly coat pieces with the salt.
- Spread pieces out on to a parchment paper lined baking tray and let sit for 30-40 minutes.
- After, wipe off moisture that has collected from eggplants with absorbent kitchen paper. (do not rinse off. The point is to dry the eggplant.)
- Cut the olives in half
- Mince the anchovy fillets with a kitchen knife
- Chop the tomato into cubes about 1/2 inch thick (removal of inner seed area is optional)
To bake: preheat over to 400 F.
- Mix olives, anchovy, tomato, capers, and pepper all together in mixing bowl
- Add in the slices of eggplants and toss well and careful not to break the shape of the eggplants
- Remove eggplant from bowl and place in a shallow baking dish(in a single layer)
- Add rest of mixture evenly over the top of the eggplants
- Sprinkle all evenly with the olive oil
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, until eggplants are fork tender (check tenderness in 30 minutes)
“This recipe is for all the summertime eggplants that are in season now. I love eggplant and this is a quick, easy and uncomplicated recipe, that packs nice flavor.”
Once removed from the oven the eggplant can be served hot or at room temperature. In the summertime it is great with some fresh Italian bread as a snack or with heartier dishes of simply prepared fish or other proteins
Summertime eggplants (melanzane) are everywhere now >> Enjoy…!