Chef Franco’s 4th of July Potato Salad!
Potato salad on the Fourth of July is just as much a part of the celebration as hamburgers and hot dogs. These granddaddies of the grill would be lost without a good potato salad. Celebrate your family barbecue and Independence Day festivities with a Star-Spangled-4th-of-July potato salad recipe, that packs an explosive punch.
( serves: 3-5 )
- Potatoes – 5-6 medium
- Pickles- 1-2 medium-sized, cut into medium dice
- Apple – 1 Green, cut into medium dice
- Onion- 1, minced, or 2-3 spring onions, snipped finely
- Chives – 3-4 snipped finely, plus more for garnish
- Capers – 2-3 teaspoons, rinsed, optional
- Sour cream – 1 1/2 cups
- White wine vinegar – 1 Tablespoon
- Mustard – 1-1/2 Tablespoons (Dijon)
- Honey – 1-1/2 teaspoons
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Garlic – 1-2 small cloves, finely chopped
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a pot with enough water to cover them.
- Add salt and one teaspoon of white wine vinegar.
- Boil until the potatoes can be pierced easily with the point of a knife. (approx. 7 minutes)
- Then, cool to room temperature. If pressed for time, you can shock the cooked potatoes in an ice bath and then quickly drain.
- Add the potatoes and the next 5 ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the potato mixture.
- Let marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator. Garnish with additional chives just before serving.