Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for all those who have served or are serving in the“Armed Forces”.
The day is also marked by family and friend get-togethers centered around outdoor grilling.
So, no matter if you grill all year around or are just dusting off the grill this weekend for Memorial Day, this recipe is a real winner and it’s for you!
Roman Burgers: are quick to make… the seasonings and feta cheese that are incorporated into them are truly a delicious touch, adding a fantastic depth of flavor when grilled over an open flame.
The flame should be mild and the coals red hot before grilling to ensure maximum grilling flavor.
Fennel Slaw: The fennel slaw is truly a perfect accompaniment for this burger. It moistens the burger and delivers a fresh and lively flavor to the burger while adding an extra element of Mediterranean flavor.
The “Fennel Slaw” is also great served chilled as an additional side dish for BBQs and picnics!
- 20 lbs. – ground beef
- 3 tablespoons – dried basil
- 3 tablespoons – dried oregano
- 15 tablespoons – Kosher salt
- 15 tablespoons – fine ground black pepper
- 10 cups – Feta cheese (plain) – if whole cut into approximately 1/4 inch cubes.
- Wash hands well! (leave damp) this helps to keep the mincemeat from sticking to your hands and enables you to mix all the ingredients into the meat…more homogeneously.
- Once the meat is mixed, carefully fold in the Feta cheese.
- Once mixed to your liking, make a small patty and cook it off for a taste tester to determine seasoning. If acceptable..proceed if not make the adjustments in seasoning to you liking. Just remember the Feta will add a degree of saltiness, so taste-test with the Feta already folded into the mix.
- Divide the mix into the seize of burgers that you prefer.
- Once the seize is determined, shape into a 1/2- inch patty.
- At this point the burgers are ready for grilling. No additional seasoning is necessary.
- If not grilling immediately, one can wrap each burger individually in plastic wrap and reserve in the refrigerator.
These burgers also freeze well up to a month. Once removed from the freezer and thawed do not freeze again if not used. Take from the freezer what you need to avoid waist. These most definitely should not be refrozen!
- 6-8 fennel bulbs – medium seized and sliced thinly
- 1-1/2 cups – sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups – plain yogurt
- 6-tablespoons – fresh mint (rough chopped)
- 3 tablespoons – lemon zest (finely grated)
- 3 tablespoons – honey
- 3/4 teaspoons salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves – garlic (small seized) and minced
- The fennel should be shaved…slightly thicker than paper thin. This can be done on a electric slicing machine, a Chinese mandolin or by a very sharp kitchen knife.
- In either respect…try to make it as thin if your kitchen lacks the professional equipment , don’t get to stuck on the thinness.
- If home cooking…just get it as thin as you can with your kitchen knife and don’t worry if you can’t make it laser beam thin…It will still be delicious.
- Once the fennel is shaved add all of the other ingredients and mix well to incorporate everything. Adjust seasoning id necessary and leave to marinate a few hours in the refrigerator.
- The fennel slaw is best served chilled…over the burger.
“Happy Grilling & Happy Memorial Day!”