Tomatoes are at their best during late summer. Chilled gazpacho soup is an Andalusian specialty that showcases the humble tomato beautifully.
This recipe offers the perfect opportunity to enjoy those succulent sun-kissed tomatoes while helping you to cool off from the summer heat. The recipe I share here was created for an exclusive event I did with Kings Cooking Studio of Short Hills, New Jersey.
- 1 oz – Day old French or Italian bread ( crust removed )
- 1/4 – Red Onion, roughly chopped
- 3- Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 1/4 lbs. Ripe Tomatoes
- 1- Red Bell Pepper
- 1/4- Cucumber
- 2 Tbls.- Sherry Vinegar
- 6 Tbls.- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3- Ice Cubes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Tabasco, to taste (Optional)
- Carefully slice away all crusts from bread. Cut the bread into medium-dice pieces and reserve in a bowl.
- Quarter the tomatoes. Place a fine sieve over a small bowl. Using a spoon, remove all seeds from the tomatoes. Do this over the strainer to catch all the juice and pulp. Once complete, lightly press the gathered pulp in the strainer to extract any remaining juice.
- Pour the tomato juice over the reserved bread. Add some water, if necessary, to slightly moisten the bread and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut open the pepper. Clean out the white rib along with the seeds. Chop into large dice and reserve.
- Peel and remove the seeds from the cucumber. Cut into large dice and reserve.
Blend: Using a food processor or blender.
- Squeeze the liquid from the bread and reserve. Place the bread in the blender.
- Process quickly to break up, pulsing for 10-20 seconds.
- Now, add the onion and garlic. Blend on high speed.
- Next, add the tomatoes, red bell pepper and cucumber, alternating and pulsing with ice cubes.
- Add the reserved juice and a little water, if necessary, to help the blending process.
- Once the mixture begins to blend, drizzle in the olive oil, then the vinegar.
- Allow all to blend on medium speed for 3-5 minutes to create a smooth consistency.
- Then. remove from blender to a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco, if using. You can also add more vinegar to the soup at this time, if desired.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and ready to serve!
- Sliced scallions
- A drizzle of your favorite Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Red Wine!