Making creative and delicious canapés is easy with a box of Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes. Try making a vast array of canapés using a blini-sized wild rice griddle cake. Let your inner chef run wild and have some creative culinary fun! You can serve these as a tasty amuse bouche for dinner parties or pass them around with the hors d’oeurves course. They are a great addition for any family gatherings as well.
I’ve made many varieties of canapés, using wild rice griddle cakes as the base. Here are some creative ways to kick-off! Try using them instead of toasted bread for bruschetta, or with a rosette of chive or dill cream cheese. When berries are in season, I like to top a griddle cake with a dollop of mascarpone cheese, place with a perfectly gorgeous raspberry, blueberry or blackberry on top, and drizzle all with an aged balsamic vinegar. These are outrageously delicious!
Below is a recipe for one of my favorites. It’s a canapé made with smoked salmon, crème fraîche and dill. The smoked salmon and wild rice complement each another perfectly, adding a delicious blend of flavors to a very classic canapé.
Smoked Salmon and Crème Fraîche Canapés
(makes approx. 20-30 canapés)
All you need:
- 1 box Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes ( you will not need the entire box
1/2 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
1/4 cup crème fraîche (can use sour cream as a substitute)
Fresh dill, for garnish
All you do:
- Preheat griddle, blini or sauté pan.
- Make one box of Franco’s Minnesota Wild Rice Griddle Cakes as per instructions on back of the box.
- Using a scant tablespoon, cook the mini wild rice griddle cakes.
- Once cooled, top with a small slice of the smoked salmon and a dollop of crème fraîche.
- Garnish with a sprig of dill and serve.
Tip: Remember: Any leftover batter can be stored in a sealed plastic container in your refrigerator for three days.