It’s time to slow down and get immersed in “la dolce vita”. A much-anticipated road trip is about to get underway, and you are all invited to follow along. The journey begins in Rome, continues down the coast through Calabria to Sicily, then up to Salerno. After that, it’s back to Rome. Since all roads lead to Rome, I guess winding up back in Rome is inevitable. Haha! And believe me, food is ALWAYS in the mix, especially on a road trip like this!
Follow Franco: Road Trip Southern Italy
Lazio and Campania
- May 1st, land in Rome and drive directly along the Amalfi Coast to Sorrento, an enchanting city on the Tyrrhennian Sea.
- May 2nd, boat ride over to Capri to discover the history of this breathtaking island, eat an authentic Caprese Insalata and ride to the other side of the island on their famous Funicular.
- May 4th, we have dinner reservations at Don Alfonso. This is a 2-Michelin-star restaurant and one of the most famous in Italy, located in the picturesque village of St Agata Sui Due Golfi overlooking the Gulf of Salerno and the Gulf of Naples.
- May 6th, drive from Sorrento to Scalea, Calabria. I’ll stop off at Pasticceria Aronne, a pastry shop that was highly recommended by Calabrian cultural and food expert Rosetta Costantino. She wrote a wonderful book called My Calabria, check it out.
- May 7th, leave for Tropea, a very popular coastal beach town. A stop in the town of Pizzo (considered one of Calabria’s prettiest towns) for lunch is at Ristorante San Domenico.
- May 8th, go to the Peppe and Vera Cooking School of Tropea. Peppe is a noted chef with over 30 years of Calabrian culinary expertise.
- May 10th, drive down to Reggio. Here we’ll take the ferry to Messina, Sicily for a day trip, possibly visiting Taormina.
- May 12th, drive from Reggio up to Salerno. Visit buffalo farm, Tenuta Vannulo
- May 14th, drive from Salerno to Rome.
- May 15th, Arrivederci, Italia