Saint Paddy’s Day, a time when everyone can be Irish for a day and also a time of the year when a forgotten dish call Corned Beef and Cabbage makes its yearly comeback.
Serve the holiday recipe below with my real McCoy version of Saint Patrick’s Day soda bread, and Leprechauns might come a knockin’ at your door!
Corned Beef and Cabbaage for St. Patrick’s Day!
Ingredients: (4 people)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) corned beef brisket (seasoning packet included with purchase of the corned beef) Or you can quickly make your own seasoning ( recipe below )
- 1 green cabbage, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or about 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 onion ( peeped and rough chopped )
Spice Mix: Procedure
Put ingredients into a tea ball or in a cheese cloth that’s tied closed. This will allow removal of the aromatics easy.
Corned Beef and Cabbage : Procedure
- Place carrots and potatoes in a 5-quart or larger slow cooker. Place corned beef on top and sprinkle with seasoning packet or homemade version.
- Add apple juice, and water.
- Cover and cook on low setting 6 hours. Add cabbage and continue cooking another 1 to 2 hours, or until beef and cabbage are tender. Remove beef, potatoes, and vegetables to a platter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.