This fettuccini tossed in lemon ricotta is a fabulous summer pasta dish. The addition of lemon to the ricotta adds a whole other dimension of delicious flavor. Toss it all with a little chopped basil, fresh lemon zest, and a little hot pepper flakes and you have yourself a real winner. This pasta dish is so good you’ll absolutely find yourself making it throughout the year.
Fettuccine Tossed in Lemon Ricotta
Ingredients ( server 4)
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine or any dried variety that you like
- 2 cups whole-milk ricotta
- 1 cup Parmesean cheese
- 2 lemons juiced and zested (very finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup basil chiffonade
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Add the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon juice, lemon zest to a bowl.
- Mix well and then season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if using.
- Reserve all in the refrigerator until ready to make.
Cooking the Pasta and Making the Dish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Reserve one cup of pasta water then drain the pasta.
- Add the ricotta mixture to a saute pan and add some pasta water to help loosen up the mixture.
- Place the saute pan over a medium flame and whisk well.
- Once the ricotta mixture is hot add in the fettuccine and basil and then toss it all well.
- Add a little more of the reserved pasta water if needed to create a smooth yet thick sauce.
- Divide the pasta into serving bowls.
- Add a little more lemon zest on top and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Garnish with a nice basil leaf and serve.
Tip: You can easily all shrimp or grilled chicken to this dish to make it more robust.